My favorite times in the office are when my coworkers bring their dogs in. It’s always a nice surprise to be able to hold a little pup in your arms after a long meeting. I’ve been making these all natural homemade dog treats, which I debuted at our office Christmas party last year, and they’ve been such a hit. They’re super easy to make and you only need 4 ingredients. I love making a huge batch and packing them up into little jars or boxes for each coworker. This recipe makes over a hundred small pieces and is way cheaper than store-bought dog treats. It’s also a huge plus that you know exactly what you’re feeding your fur baby.
- 6 cups oatmeal
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 4 bananas
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- small cookie cutters
- First, take all 6 cups of oatmeal and grind it down in a food processor. It won’t be as fine as flour but it should be pretty powdery when you’re done. Reserve half a cup of the flour to dust your counter with.
- Put the rest of the oatmeal flour into a mixer or mixing bowl. Add the peanut butter, peeled bananas and coconut oil. If your coconut oil is hard, warm it up in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Mix all the ingredients together until you have a large ball of dough.
- Sprinkle some of the reserved oatmeal flour on your counter and roll out some dough, but not too thin. Keep the dough at about a quarter inch thick. The batch I made was more mealy than it was sticky, so the best thing to do is to gently roll out just a small area of dough at a time. I cut out only about 4 pieces each time before rolling out another chunk of dough.
- Lay out the pieces on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
It’s kind of therapeutic baking a big batch of these little homemade dog treats. Waffles the Beast heads quality control in my kitchen so he taste tests every batch. I think he’s doing a good job since I’ve never had a pup refuse these treats. Hope you guys and your fur babies enjoy this recipe.