I’ve been waiting and waiting for Fall… but it’s 90 degrees inside my house right now. Stepping outside feels like opening the door to the dry waft of a preheated oven. Since it’s still Summer in So Cal, we need a strong, but refreshing cocktail to deal with this heat… and for me, the stress of proposal-writing season. This is a delicious citrusy cocktail recipe from bartender and restaurateur Ryan Maybee, featured in Shaker & Spoon‘s Summer Scotch box. The orange, lemon and grapefruit flavors in this cocktail really mellow out the strong taste of the scotch.
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 1/2 oz grapefruit juice
- 3/4 oz burnt orange syrup
- 3 drops grapefruit saline solution
- 1 hand-cut orange zest
- 1 1/2 oz Scotch
The Night Fighter cocktail is a drink that gets shaken and then served in a coupe glass… garnished with a flamed orange zest. Fancy that.
Here’s how you mix the drink:
- Add all of the liquid ingredients to a shaker. Fill the shaker with ice cubes and shake vigorously until the shaker is ice cold (about 15 to 30 seconds).
- Strain the shaker’s contents into a chilled coupe (without ice).
Here’s how you garnish the drink:
- Have your hand-cut orange zest ready.
- Light a wooden match and hold it several inches above the drink.
- Hold the zest with the colored side down, about two inches above the lit match, and wave it slowly for a few secodnds to warm the oil so it lights more easily.
- Quickly pinch the zest over the lit match, pressing out its oil. This will ignite in a quick flash so… BE CAREFUL.
- Place the flamed zest into the drink.
- You can also view a video on how to do this here.
Playing with fire. A tip… whenever I’m making a cocktail just for myself and have all this fruit leftover, I cut it up and put the slices into a large mason jar of water. Hydration is key for a bright and happy morning with no hangover, especially when you’re having weeknight cocktails.
Yum. Thinking this cocktail plus reruns of Mad Men on Netflix is the perfect combination for unwinding after a long day. I can’t help but love the name of this drink… Night Fighter. Reminds me of those late hours of Sunday night where you avoid going to bed because you know that once you close your eyes, the weekend is officially over and the inevitable Monday begins. Well at least we can enjoy a nice drink before we have to do it all over again.
When you subscribe to Shaker & Spoon, you get all the ingredients (bitters, salts, syrups, garnishes, all of it) to make 3 different kinds of cocktails, 4 servings each – the only thing you need to purchase separately is the alcohol. Agency Addicts readers get 15% off Shaker & Spoon subscriptions, so make sure to use our special code with your purchase: AGENCY15